Kevin Gregg Traded to Cubs

Can someone please tell me that this guy is awesome. Please.

This guy is just like Ryan Tucker. Big time plus fastball, projects positively as a plus power reliever.

Beinfest is assembling quite a young bullpen. This is the best trade of the three of them so far.

Thank you. I'm starting to realize that I had completely unrealistic expectations of what the Olsen&Gregg trades would net.

But atleast this and the Jacobs trade should really set us up with a strong, cheap bullpen for the next several years.

Baseball Prospectus (notably Kevin Goldstein) had Ceda as the Cubs #3 prospect heading into the 2009 season

3. Jose Ceda, RHP

DOB: 1/28/87

Height/Weight: 6-4/275

Bats/Throws: R/R

Drafted/Signed: Dominican Republic, 2004 (Padres)

2008 Stats: 4.80 ERA at High-A (54.1-41-28-53), 7.17 DERA; 2.08 ERA at Double-A (30.1-26-14-42), 2.89 DERA

Last Year's Ranking: 4

Year in Review: The top closer prospect in the system began the year as a starter in order to work on his overall game, and returned to his dominating ways when moved back into the closer's role at Double-A.

The Good: Ceda brings presence to the mound with the size, stuff, aggressiveness, and intimidation factor of a shut-down closer. He has the classic closer's combination of fastball/slider, both knockout pitches, with the fastball sitting at 94-97 mph and touching 100, while the power slider features plenty of depth and tilt.

The Bad: Ceda overthrows both pitches at times, which can lead to control issues, as can his arm-heavy mechanics, which involve a significant amount of grunting. He experimented with a changeup while starting, but it was never any more than a show-me pitch, and nobody argues with the fact that he's a reliever only. His size is a bit of a concern, and he started to put on some soft weight last year.

Fun Fact: When pitching in the ninth inning or later for Double-A Tennessee, Ceda allowed just two runs over 16 innings while striking out 28.

Perfect World Projection: He should become a dominating closer.

Glass Half Empty: Unless his control problems become a constant, or something else unpredictable happens, it's hard to not see Ceda pitching in the late innings.

Path To The Big Leagues: The Cubs are set in terms of who pitches late in games for now, so Ceda's rise to the closer role with his current club could take a while.

Timetable: Team officials think that Ceda is close to ready for the big leagues, and depending on the numbers game, he'll begin the season closing at either Double- or Triple-A. He could be up by the end of the year, giving the Cubs one of the most power-armed bullpens in all of baseball.

Baseball Prospectus (notably Kevin Goldstein) had Ceda as the Cubs #3 prospect heading into the 2009 season

3. Jose Ceda, RHP

DOB: 1/28/87

Height/Weight: 6-4/275

Bats/Throws: R/R

Drafted/Signed: Dominican Republic, 2004 (Padres)

2008 Stats: 4.80 ERA at High-A (54.1-41-28-53), 7.17 DERA; 2.08 ERA at Double-A (30.1-26-14-42), 2.89 DERA

Last Year's Ranking: 4

Year in Review: The top closer prospect in the system began the year as a starter in order to work on his overall game, and returned to his dominating ways when moved back into the closer's role at Double-A.

The Good: Ceda brings presence to the mound with the size, stuff, aggressiveness, and intimidation factor of a shut-down closer. He has the classic closer's combination of fastball/slider, both knockout pitches, with the fastball sitting at 94-97 mph and touching 100, while the power slider features plenty of depth and tilt.

The Bad: Ceda overthrows both pitches at times, which can lead to control issues, as can his arm-heavy mechanics, which involve a significant amount of grunting. He experimented with a changeup while starting, but it was never any more than a show-me pitch, and nobody argues with the fact that he's a reliever only. His size is a bit of a concern, and he started to put on some soft weight last year.

Fun Fact: When pitching in the ninth inning or later for Double-A Tennessee, Ceda allowed just two runs over 16 innings while striking out 28.

Perfect World Projection: He should become a dominating closer.

Glass Half Empty: Unless his control problems become a constant, or something else unpredictable happens, it's hard to not see Ceda pitching in the late innings.

Path To The Big Leagues: The Cubs are set in terms of who pitches late in games for now, so Ceda's rise to the closer role with his current club could take a while.

Timetable: Team officials think that Ceda is close to ready for the big leagues, and depending on the numbers game, he'll begin the season closing at either Double- or Triple-A. He could be up by the end of the year, giving the Cubs one of the most power-armed bullpens in all of baseball.

Are the Cubs aware that Kevin Gregg isn't very good?

Re: Gregg, one poster said:

"insurance policy. not great but a low cost descent one. I?m still waiting to see what we gave up but I?m in favor of this deal if it wasnt too much."

Oh the differences in organizations...where Gregg is a low cost option to them, he'd be one of our higher paid players (if my memory is accurate).

Cubs also want Hermida.

The Cubs wont move on Hermida till the situation with peavy is worked out. I am guessing the same prospects would be involved. Obviously not as many of them if they went after hermida as it would take to get Peavy. I have a feeling alot of things are hinging on the Peavy situation.

Back on topic: Overall i am happy over this one. Good riddance to an overachieving douche