Kevin Gregg Traded to Cubs

So we've now picked up two guys in Nunez and Ceda who are really going to be back of the bullpen guys who should seriously compete with Lindstrom...

Don't look now, but this bullpen has got some MAJOR power in it.

Ceda might not even make the team, come Opening Day.

He's going to have to really impress in Spring Training, considering there are some proven + some guys without options, on the team.

Plus, according to his scouting report, (when with the Cubs) he was likely going to start the year in the minors.

We'll see how it goes...this is a good trade, though.

Im still pissed about the Nationals trade but this helps.

I have no idea who Ceda is but from what im reading he can be something special for the Marlins.

Dude is one big MF too. He looks a little bit like Benitez in that picture.

Anyways do i love this trade? NO

But i sure as hell like it. I have faith in Beinfest.

And thank god the Marlins get rid of Kevin Gregg I could not stand him.

Now he gets to blow up the Cubs (Thats the part I love)

Gregg will not survive in Chicago.

I've been thinking about this, and I don't see how this deal makes sense...for the Cubs.

Sure, they probably wanted to get rid of Wood's salary, and needed a replacement...

But doesn't anyone think Marmol is a much better reliever than Kevin Gregg? So what's the point of trading your 4th best prospect for a 30 year old middle reliever...who you can probably get in free agency, at a cheaper price (point here being that Gregg is replaceable, and there are guys LIKE him in free agency...who will come cheaper).

I'd much rather have...Marmol closing, with Samardjia (yeah, I spelled it wrong) / a middle reliever at a cheaper price like Gregg than Gregg closing, with Marmol and Samardjia (yeah, I spelled it wrong again).

I can't believe we got more for Kevin Gregg than we did for Scott Olsen and Hammer. Unbelievable.

Kevin Gregg has more value than either. He will get back A compensation next year, doesn't have off field issues or back problems.

He's also a damn good reliever.

Arguable.

Yeah, but the arguments against it aren't particularly great. He's a crappy closer, but he's one of the better non-closer relievers in baseball.

I've been thinking about this, and I don't see how this deal makes sense...for the Cubs.

Sure, they probably wanted to get rid of Wood's salary, and needed a replacement...

But doesn't anyone think Marmol is a much better reliever than Kevin Gregg? So what's the point of trading your 4th best prospect for a 30 year old middle reliever...who you can probably get in free agency, at a cheaper price (point here being that Gregg is replaceable, and there are guys LIKE him in free agency...who will come cheaper).

I'd much rather have...Marmol closing, with Samardjia (yeah, I spelled it wrong) / a middle reliever at a cheaper price like Gregg than Gregg closing, with Marmol and Samardjia (yeah, I spelled it wrong again).

Marmol probably will end up closing with Greggo setting him up. Also, I believe Samardzija is a starter who was put in the pen this year. 56 of his 59 games in the minors were starts.

Marmol probably will end up closing with Greggo setting him up. Also, I believe Samardzija is a starter who was put in the pen this year. 56 of his 59 games in the minors were starts.

Yeah, but what's the point on spending so much on Gregg to just setup, when you can sign some solid middle relievers in free agency (we both know that relievers rise and fall...especially guys like Gregg...each and every year).

Spend a little less on a setup guy, to improve in other areas by signing maybe a big bat, which the Cubs could use and afford.

I don't know...I just don't like it for the Cubs (which, fortunately, means I like it).

The Cubs actually refused to part with Jose Ceda to get Brian Roberts not so long ago...now they trade Ceda for Gregg? How does that make any sense?

I agree - of course, Samardzjia could end up back in the pen if the Cubs resign Ryan Dempster. They are also trying to land Peavy, so that would also push Samardzjia further back.

As for the Cubs perspective, they seem to want to win now. That team was one of the best in the NL, and they feel they are close enough to win it now.

They'd rather have KG for 1 year as a solid vet, and take their chances with the 2 compensation picks, than wait on a 21-year old to see if he's ready this year while not having that bullpen hole filled by a veteran with a good history. That's just my guess.

If there arent any free agent pick ups than I think it would be fair to say this is another firesale because the moves are not improving the 2009 team . As frustrating as Gregg was he is still a decent proven closer . As far as Olsen goes , a healthy left hander who eats up innings , I am people can say how sucked but we got screwed in that deal . It was a deal done to shed payroll.

If there arent any free agent pick ups than I think it would be fair to say this is another firesale because the moves are not improving the 2009 team . As frustrating as Gregg was he is still a decent proven closer . As far as Olsen goes , a healthy left hander who eats up innings , I am people can say how sucked but we got screwed in that deal . It was a deal done to shed payroll.

The Cubs got just as screwed in this deal as the Marlins did when they traded Olsen / Willingham.

Yeah, but what's the point on spending so much on Gregg to just setup, when you can sign some solid middle relievers in free agency (we both know that relievers rise and fall...especially guys like Gregg...each and every year).

Especially like Gregg?

In each season he has ever spent in the Majors (6), his ERA has exceeded 4.21 ONCE. His career ERA is a flat 4.00, and he just seems to be more consistent with age. So he blew 9 saves. Doesn't mean he isn't a very good reliever. I enjoyed the majority of his stay in Florida, and there are no signs of Gregg being much of a question mark in terms of consistency.

The Cubs got just as screwed in this deal as the Marlins did when they traded Olsen / Willingham.

From an overall point of view this off season we have gotten rid of our closer , 2 everyday starters , our 3rd best starting pitcher and in return we have gotten a middle reliver , 2 low level prospects , a close to major league relief prospect , and a middle infielder with limited major league experience. We have not made our team better this offseason so far . I am holding out hope we do make some moves to acquire major league talent . We can't continually be in a never ending rebuilding process if you want to be a successful franchise.