Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pujols to Angels

Featured Replies

You're worried about long term flexibility and yet you want them to give a no-trade clause??

 

 

No. The no NTC policy scares me because we're not guaranteeing that these guys will be here past a few years. I get the feeling that they could dismantle this team if things don't work out and Pujols' contract becomes a problem after 4 years or so. I'm skeptical of the franchise's intentions here. They seem to be putting their eggs in one basket and hoping that this becomes a baseball town overnight.

I can understand that - kind of a firesale hedge .... if this plan works great, if not we can cut bait and go back to salary management

 

I can't blame the organization though ... i think their intentions are pure, just like they were after 2003 .... however, it didn't pay off for them then so I can see them being hesitant to go lock & stock committed to 6 & 10 year deals with no assurance that what they think will happen will actually happen

 

however, it also provides flexibility if one of the players doesn't work out - even if the scenario is one where they need to take some dead salary to move a guy for an equal/better option at a lower total cost

 

i think the flexibility far outweighs the hedge

I wonder if they frantic trying finding the extra money for Pujols stuffed under el penguino's bed

You're worried about long term flexibility and yet you want them to give a no-trade clause??

 

 

No. The no NTC policy scares me because we're not guaranteeing that these guys will be here past a few years. I get the feeling that they could dismantle this team if things don't work out and Pujols' contract becomes a problem after 4 years or so. I'm skeptical of the franchise's intentions here.

Ok so...you're worried about being strapped for cash AND dismantling the team to save money?

 

No.

 

I'm worried about the team free-spending right now, realizing they can't sustain the payroll with waning fan interest after a while (especially if Pujols' huge contract handicaps their ability to compete) and then trading away a bunch of players. This wouldn't be the first time a team would raise payroll when going into a new stadium only to lower it in subsequent years.

@ Entendu

 

You never mentioned the upgrades of Reyes and Bell in your posts which should be mentioned since you're talking about everything we're losing (like Vazquez who in all likelihood isn't signing here, anyway).

 

Also, ever heard of the rich get richer? There's a reason, other than baseball #'s, why the Marlins are doing this. It's actually a business move more than anything else.

 

Even if Pujols declines, the fact that he'll be chasing milestones toward the latter part of his career = more money in Loria's pocket.

 

Right now, who knows how much Loria has in his pocket? For all we know, he can afford this signing and the extensions to come in the near future. I never expected this team to possibly be spending 350 million+ in free agents this offseason, but it's definitely a possibility.

 

 

There's no reason to include Bell or Reyes. I'm talking about a net gain between the scenarios. Bell and Reyes are constants (so was Vazquez, but I put it in for the sake of following through with the full scenario.)

 

It's a terribly risky move. Nobody really knows how fans are going to react to this, and a bad team hamstrung by bad contracts could make fans lose interest in the team once again. Going the pitching route is much safer because everyone is off the books in 6 years time, and no one is going to be 40 and making 20M (being essentially unmovable.) Star power is nice, but I think they're getting carried away - and the fact that they're not giving NTC's away scares the hell out of me.

 

Ok, so what's the alternative?

 

Add pitching? Fair enough. The best pitcher on the market is C.J. Wilson. Do you think C.J. Wilson is worth six years? Mark Buehrle wants a no-trade clause.

 

How the fans would react to this is obvious, sorry. This is a bandwagon sports town. The minute Pujols signs, they'll be talking about the Marlins like they're the Heat; that's the way it works in Miami.

 

Also, did it ever occur to you that we could sign Pujols...and then sign a guy like Buehrle? Did you ever think we'd sign Bell and Reyes...and then still be considered a legit threat for Pujols?

 

At this point, it's fair to say that no one really knows how much the Marlins are willing to spend right now.

 

Let the offseason play out. Enjoy the process.

I can understand that - kind of a firesale hedge .... if this plan works great, if not we can cut bait and go back to salary management

 

I can't blame the organization though ... i think their intentions are pure, just like they were after 2003 .... however, it didn't pay off for them then so I can see them being hesitant to go lock & stock committed to 6 & 10 year deals with no assurance that what they think will happen will actually happen

 

however, it also provides flexibility if one of the players doesn't work out - even if the scenario is one where they need to take some dead salary to move a guy for an equal/better option at a lower total cost

 

i think the flexibility far outweighs the hedge

 

 

It's understandable from a business standpoint, but fans can't be too happy about it. I get the love for Pujols now, and the desire to win today, but I'm looking at it towards the future. A team with funds allocated to things other than Pujols can win for a while because they're more flexible, and that's probably the best way to create fan interest. If this team were to be good for 4+ years, losing contracts here and there and signing players to new ones, then I'm confident this city can embrace the team. But if this team starts to do bad a few years into the new ballpark, then it could trigger a snowball effect where fans lose interest, the Marlins lose money and have to trade people, and then fans lose even more interest and we're right back to where we are now.

if they sign one solid starting pitcher going into next year they will field a very competitive team and avoid the disaster that Albert's contract will become which will enable them to continue to be players in future FA classes. I worry deeply that they're going all-in this year and future years will be back to the same old nothingness during the FA period.

if they sign one solid starting pitcher going into next year they will field a very competitive team and avoid the disaster that Albert's contract will become which will enable them to continue to be players in future FA classes. I worry deeply that they're going all-in this year and future years will be back to the same old nothingness during the FA period.

 

If we go all in this year we really shouldn't have many holes that we would need to fill through free agency in the future.

It's funny seeing the old Marlins cynic come out in people.. I've been guilty of it too. It'll be tough to shake.

The #Marlins have now been meeting with Pujols agent for one hour. Loria, Samson, Beinfest and Hill in Lozano's suite.

 

-Spencer

yep - can't worry about the future too much because so much can change and so much is unknown

 

i'm personally worried about the flexibility to sign guys like stanton, morrison (if he is indeed part of the plan), etc

 

then I just decided to free my mind from concerns and enjoy the team for what it is today - they are playing to win in the 2012 season and should have very good core pieces for the next few years based on what they could do this offseason

 

drafting hasn't been great recently and the farm is depleted, but they could readjust this over the next few years and have some guys who are at least close to come up in other positions of need or potential future concern

 

however, the landscape is always changing - just flow with it

The #Marlins have now been meeting with Pujols agent for one hour. Loria, Samson, Beinfest and Hill in Lozano's suite.

 

-Spencer

The #Marlins have now been meeting with Pujols agent for one hour. Loria, Samson, Beinfest and Hill in Lozano's suite.

 

-Spencer

*Rocks back and forth in chair nervously*

Its going to happen. Stop being so nervous I already told you its getting done. Ill see all of you doubters at the party on sat. Ill be wearing an albert pujols jersey.

 

Also, post likes as an apology.

 

Oh yeah, heath bell will be there on sat too (obviously).

 

 

 

You claimed it was done already. Clearly it is still being ironed out. I'm still a bit skeptical of you.

I also have a source that told me Pujols was going to sign. Of course if he's wrong, it's not my fault because its my source's fault. If I'm right, well I'm awesome.

Oh man oh man, I've only been lurking thus far this offseason, but I just had to post something!!!! The thought of Albert Pujols in a Marlins uniform is oh so sweet.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.