The Official Giancarlo Stanton Man Crush Thread

You lowered it because the entire board mocked you and since then you have denied that you originally proposed it. It's ok, because it's one of the better memes on this board.

I was never down on Stanton at any point, so I have no idea where you are getting that from.

If Stanton ends this year with 45+ home runs like he's projected, a .300+ BA and 1.000+ OPS like he current has, and a positive defensive WAR, we're getting into scary territory in terms of the money Stanton would command. Considering the value of the franchise as a whole is basically half a billion dollars, it would be incredibly odd for Loria and pretty out of character for him to dish the $180+ million Stanton will eventually command in free agency.

Even with the knee injuries I'm still surprised they never locked him up earlier. Sure, not a lot of us were projecting he would become as good of a contact hitter as he's become, but we all knew the power would make him a top player in baseball eventually. It's crazy that the front office showed no foresight with him.

I'm done trying to figure out packages we can get for Stanton. I learned my lesson back when I called the Rangers prospect mashup the perfect return if we were ever to trade for Stanton, and we've seen how that's turned out for the most part. Prospects are so hit or miss, which is why it would be so infuriating to see another great player leave because we can't afford them. But we're reaching that point pretty damn quickly. It'll be sad if/when Stanton has to go to bigger and better things (and that, likely everybody else is saying, will likely be in California with whatever team. We all know Stanton would die and go to heaven to play for the Dodgers).

What reason is there to beleive this ownership would do this? Interested in why you beleive this.

They have the money, they're looking to compete in the near future, and they'll have another PR nightmare if he gets traded for whatever reason. They're also not stupid enough to just let him walk. I believe they're going to sign him for the long run

I think he'll sign an offer. I also believe Loria will offer him a deal that is his worth. Maybe im just being too optimistic, but Stanton sure has seem happier now than ever before.

Payroll is also at $46 million. Unless Loria goes ahead and buys a few free agents next offseason, I bet MLB will give him the same shit they gave him before he signed JJ or Ricky (can't remember which one it was,) which would help nudge a Stanton signing. There's been way too much negativity around this ballclub in recent years for them not to sign Stanton, especially right as the negativity is diminishing.

Payroll is also at $46 million. Unless Loria goes ahead and buys a few free agents next offseason, I bet MLB will give him the same s*** they gave him before he signed JJ or Ricky (can't remember which one it was,) which would help nudge a Stanton signing. There's been way too much negativity around this ballclub in recent years for them not to sign Stanton, especially right as the negativity is diminishing.

Agreed. A long-term Stanton extension following a winning (hopefully) season would create that culture change they're so desperately seeking, and probably much more rapidly than anticipated...

While it would be out of character for Loria to cough up huge dollars for one guy, he certainly now has the ability to cover a Stanton deal of 6/120/130/150/whatever -- this year was the first year of the new national TV deal which will pay 24-25 mill/year and essentially none of it was spent this year. The money is there year after year without having to sell any tickets. Will he spend virtually all of it on Stanton? Who knows.

While it would be out of character for Loria to cough up huge dollars for one guy, he certainly now has the ability to cover a Stanton deal of 6/120/130/150/whatever -- this year was the first year of the new national TV deal which will pay 24-25 mill/year and essentially none of it was spent this year. The money is there year after year without having to sell any tickets. Will he spend virtually all of it on Stanton? Who knows.

None of it was spent? So ..., we're not paying Stanton $6.5m, Saltalamacchia $6m, Jones $2.5m, Baker $1.6m, McGehee $1.1m, and Furcal $3.5m? I get we negated some of that trading Morrison and Ruggiano, but that all combined to $17.7m. Subtract the $1.2 that LoMo is making and the $2m that Ruggiano is making this year, that's still $14.5m of the $25m gained that has been spent. Add in $1.25 that we were paying Marmol to start off, that makes it $15.75m. Usually I don't touch your financial posts, but this one kinda caught me off guard and I felt the need to chime in.

Opening day payroll (which includes all obligations, not just current players) this year was about 5 mill LESS than last year. See Cot's.

I figure Loria was hanging on to it to offset some of the, what was it, 59 mill? lost in '12. He apparently had a small loss last year. In any case, he's in his best financial position in a couple of years, with almost all of the hangover from the '12 mistakes gone. I think it's down to just the 1.5 mill to Ozzie next year. The 4 (or was it 8?) mill to TOR and the 8 mill to AZI (Heath Bar) will be fully paid.

So, he's got the future cash from the TV deal to use on Stanton if he wants to blow most or all of it in one place, and his balance sheet looks better because he didn't spend the 24/25 mill this year.

Stanton's agent would not have accepted 7/100 a year ago and won't accept 6/130 in the fall, trust me.

I don't trust you. Stanton takes that in a heartbeat before the 2013 season, a full season before arbitration. It's not even arguable. It would have been the highest contract of all time given to a player with his service time (Trout has since surpassed). People don't turn down things like that.

As to the later, you are probably right even that is the comp ballpark. Stanton got paid and is 2 years from free agency. He has relatively nothing to worry about anymore, especially given his on slaughter this year. All he has to do is play and god knows how much the Dodgers offer after 2016.

They have the money, they're looking to compete in the near future, and they'll have another PR nightmare if he gets traded for whatever reason. They're also not stupid enough to just let him walk. I believe they're going to sign him for the long run

A PR nightmare has never stopped them before.

They believe in cost effectiveness. If they can get potential stud young infielders and another 1/2 starter, and 2-3 more ancillary pieces, all club controlled for seasons for the minimum, that is worth more than the difference in production between Stanton and Marisnick.

I hate to be "that guy" but what I think will happen, based on previous trends will be something along the lines of:

-Sign Stanton to a huge contract.

-Have Stanton play a year of that contract.

-Trade Stanton.

:(

Followed by Jose tweeting that he's pissed off.

So we think Loria is going to offer him a 6 year contract worth at least $130+ million, because that's the minimum in years and money he probably even considers. 8/$175 is probably the high end of the range (but I would think Stanton would only go up to 6 so he can be a free agent at 30/31 to cash in again). The low end of that is the 32nd most valuable contract in MLB history, the top end 13th most valuable. This also ignores that every indication is that he wants to get back to California and is a free agent in 2 years with $6.5 million in his pocket, and an upcoming enormous 2015 arbitration award likely doubling that. Meaning he has real money and the Marlins leverage is low.

So you think Loria is doing that, when he could cash Stanton in for a half dozen young players and use that same money to pay for 3-4 entire seasons of payroll versus having to pay just Stanton for 6 years. This is really easy, if they were going to sign him, they would have done it already. They aren't stupid, they know what they had in him even before this season. The front office gets it. They just don't control the purse. Papa Loria needs his money. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Also, I would like to add if they approached Stanton this last November for a 7 year deal (i.e. same date range as above 6 year hypothetical) before the MVP season onslaught, he likely accepts 7/$90-100 as that was realistic comps to Cargo, Upton, etc. Meaning the Marlins have made a $30+ million mistake if they do indeed sign him to some deal around $130+ million. That would be fantastic. We are all happy because they actually kept him, yet pissed because the planning was so horrible it costs them a Saltalamacchia level player across the span of that contract because of how poor they planned the whole thing, despite it being 100% obvious. That's so Marlins.

Well, he did offer a big contract to Pujols. Reyes. Buehrle. Cespedes. He did pay Hanley. So I don't see a reason to go the extreme with the assumptions.

Well, he did offer a big contract to Pujols. Reyes. Buehrle. Cespedes. He did pay Hanley. So I don't see a reason to go the extreme with the assumptions.

And to CJ Wilson. But, he didn't get Pujols, Cespedes or Wilson. And he traded Reyes, Buerhle and Hanley. So, there's that.

Can you imagine? Loria makes a big 6-7 year offer and it's accepted. It could happen, Loria will have the funding available (thanks national TV contract!) and he might be tired of being trashed for trading his biggest talents, even though it was always done for financial reasons. He may also have decided that waiting and paying a penalty for waiting was worth it to find out if Stanton can stay healthy. (Knocking on wood...)

Stanton puts up insane numbers and the whole thing turns out to be an incredible bargain and Loria pays him every dime of it. If he also signs Jose, Loria would slowly become a demi-god instead of a know-nothing goat, worshiped by this board.

A team anchored by Stanton and Jose and a supporting cast of guys like Yelich, Ozuna, Dietrich, Alvarez, Eovaldi, Heaney, maybe Rodon (or some similar prospect,) maybe Moran, maybe Marisnick, and FAs like McGehee and Jones and Salty can do some serious damage for years. Then, all they'd need is a SS. Either the one they've got gets a lot better or they find a new one. They can construct their bench and BP year-by-year.